While many believe guard J.J. Redick should be in the hunt for the NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award, the veteran doesn't think it'll happen and isn't too worried about it. He told Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel that his main priority is helping the 5-8 Orlando Magic get more wins:
"Frankly, I don't think I'll ever get that kind of recognition and that's just fine by me," he said after Tuesday's practice at Amway Center. "My thing is just trying to figure out how we can win ball games. That's been my focus and any frustration I've had is because we've lost. I don't care about starting or coming off the bench or anything like that.
A first round selection in the 2006 NBA Draft of the Magic, Redick is off to the best start in his seventh season with the team. Redick is averaging 14.8 points and 5.0 assists per game off the bench. Only Jameer Nelson averages more assists, while only Arron Afflalo and Glen Davis average more points.
One of the reasons Redick is so skeptical about his chances to earn recognition for his play was the NBA's decision not to invite him to the three-point shootout during NBA All-Star Weekend during the 2011-12 season:
"I've given up hope on that, man. Listen, if they weren't going to invite me when I shot the best [three-point] percentage of my career last year (41.8 percent) and the game was in my hometown (Orlando in 2011) ... I've given up hope," Redick said.
Fans have begun a Twitter campaign to try and get Redick in the contest this season, but the guard has a career-worst 36.5 three-point percentage, despite attempting more than ever before, with 4.3 attempts from beyond the arc per game.