Yesterday's game was called due to rain and this four game series became three. The Rays are three games behind NY in the standings and have the opportunity even the playing field nicely. Luckily, the Rays will have their two best starters on the mound!
This afternoon is sunny in the Bronx and only David Price and Derek Jeter 's injured calf stand in the way of Yankee captain getting 3,000 hits. Jeter stands at 2,998 and will become the first Yank to reach that milestone. But if you're reading this, you probably know that by now. (Poll: who will give up those hits?)
"I'm going to go out there and try to do the same things I done when I'm going good," Price told mlb.com. "Establish my fastball. And pitch off of that, and go from there."
Matchup: David Price vs. A.J. Burnett
When: 1:05 PM, Yankee Stadium
TV & Radio: Sun Sports, WDAE 620, WGES 680
- Jeter is 6-25 in his career against Price. For some fun with the match-up's Pitch F/X, check out this link.
- Alex Rodriguez has a meniscus tear in his right knee and will not play tonight. If he chooses surgery, A-Rod will be side lined for about a month. He and Jeter will be out of the All Star game due to their injuries, but that doesn't mean Jeter can't play today, right? Mariano Rivera is also out of the All Star break with sore biceps but is available this afternoon.
- Johnny Damon is still swollen and bruised after getting hit on the hand but will not miss this game. Being the team's hottest hitter, he would have been sorely missed as the Rays hope to light up Burnett.
- Joe Maddon is smartly playing Joyce in left, an up grade in defense from what Johnny Damon offers. If the Rays won't call up Desmond Jennings and want to play Sean Rodriguez, Joyce in left will do fine.
- In case you were wondering, ysterday's game was moved to September. As if the end of the season wasn't hell already!