The Kentucky Derby is one of the most unique sporting events in the World, and part of that mystique is the drink that is synonymous with it, the Mint Julep. The guys at SB Nation's Youtube page are down in Kentucky and they have the recipe for the perfect julep. Check it out.
For those of you at work who might not be able to watch the video right away but still want that delicious knowledge, let me give you the crucials.
- The first step is probably the most difficult, you need a special julep cup. It's like a normal cup, except metal, and therefore more special.
- Pare off some mint leaves and throw them in the bottom of the cup. Go ahead, just throw them in there.
- Use a little bit of simple syrup. Bartender Ashley just uses the small side of a shot pourer. Granulated sugar is also acceptable.
- Grab a big muddler and mash that ish up! If you don't have a pestal, it looks like you can just use a mini bat.
- Add some crushed ice, making sure it's crushed ice and not cubed. As we all know, cubed is the least dignified of the ice forms.
- Add a shot of whiskey, stir it around.