clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Dwight Howard Rumors: Howard Refuses to Waive Opt Out, According to Report

The Orlando Magic are having an up and down day, as the Dwight Howard news bounces back and forth as his mind changes. Earlier it was reported that Howard would in fact waive his opt out option for the 2012-13 seasons and play out his contract. Later, a conflicting report came out saying that some Magic players in the team meeting with Howard were not told that he would play out his full contract, but just this season.

Now news breaks that Howard will not waive his opt out option, according to a report by Marc Stein of ESPN. It seems that Howard told his teammates he would surrender his ETO clause, but did so not fully understanding what that meant.

When asked why Howard told several teammates and members of the organization earlier in the day that he had indeed decided not to opt out of his contract, the source insisted that Howard "didn't fully understand the ramifications" of surrendering his ETO and did so largely because Magic officials warned him that he would be traded by Thursday's 3 p.m. trading deadline if he did not take that step.

For more on the Orlando Magic and potential trades at the NBA deadline, visit SB Nation's Magic blog Orlando Pinstriped Post. For all your NBA trade news, be sure to follow SB Nation's NBA news hub.

Photographs by cstreet.us, thelastminute, turtlemom nancy , fesek, kthypryn, justinwright, sue_elias, pointnshoot, and scrapstothefuture used in background montage under Creative Commons. Thank you.