Skip Holtz and the USF Football team starts their fall camp today. Skip Holtz held his State of the Bulls press conference yesterday, and there was some notable things from this press conference:
- First off, all 17 members of this year's recruiting class made it to Tampa and enrolled without a problem. This is a big plus after having 7 members of the Class of 2009 not make on campus for a variety of reasons.
- TE Jeff Hawkins and OL Jake Kaufman are the only two players on the 105-man rosters that will not participate at camp this year. Hawkins tore his ACL a couple of weeks ago and Kaufman hasn't recovered from a back injury that he picked up last season. Holtz said that Kaufman will be reevaluated in a few weeks, but might have to end his playing career early. It's a bad omen that Jake is already off the official roster on GoUSFBulls.com
- There might be a lot of new faces running around this year. Coach Holtz said that he will most likely use 7-8 true freshman this season. With the lack of depth at TE and CB, I would almost expect TE Tye Turner and CB Kenneth Durden playing. Holtz also said he'll most likely play a couple of freshmen on both the offensive and defensive lines.
- For the first time since Keeley Dorsey's death in 2007, someone on the USF roster will wear the number 10. That honor goes to Soph. Terrence Mitchell. Greg Auman at the St. Petersburg Times has a good breakdown of other number changes.
- USF will spend today and Friday practicing at USF before heading to DodgerTown in Vero Beach for the next two weeks. All practices will be open to the public, and their scrimmage on August 13th should have a big crowd on hand.
For more on USF, head over to our USF site Voodoo Five for more information on the Bulls.